Saturday, February 2, 2019

Consolation of Creativity (Creative Paper for GB II)

I used to know how to be a creative person. In my youth, I would write short stories for my peers all the time. But now, my creativity has forsaken me and the tears retreating from my eyes act as small droplets of hope escaping my existence. What had I done in my growing age to make my creativity resent me? Nevertheless, I still hold my small hands over the black keys of my keyboard as if my hands would do the job for me. The more I glare at the keys, the more my urge to bang my head against them and cry increases. When I go to do just that, a hand stops me halfway. I look up to find a middle-aged woman in a pencil skirt and a button up shirt. Her hair was in a bun and she smelled of chalk and depression. She was the first one to speak.
“Oh my dear child, have you gone absolutely mad?,” she said calmly. “Who- who are you?” was the only thing I replied. “Have you forgotten who I am? I am called Creativity,” the woman said. “Great. Can you help me write this essay for my honors class?,” I asked. “That is why I am called Creativity. Now, what seems to be the problem, my student?” “I have to write an essay in the style of Boethius’s Consolation of Philosophy, but my creativity has abandoned me,” I told her. “Do you have a topic of this mentioned essay?” “I do indeed. It is going to be about a figure teaching me how to play soccer in the correct sense,” I told her. “Good. Now, you say you are not creative, but you already have a topic for your paper do you not?” “I do,” I replied. “Then you are not completely abandoned of your creativity. Do you argue?” “I do not,” I told her. “Very good.” She cracked her knuckles and continued on.
“Now, why do you think your creativity has abandoned you?” I sighed and told her I had not written in since I had become a teenager. She then asked me, “In your view, does one lose one’s creativity as they age?” “Yes, that is my view.” “Then how old does one have to be in order to lose creativity?” “I would say at least when they reach 16 years of age.” “What does one do to lose creativity at such a young age?” I had never thought of things that way, but I answered her. “ I suppose one has to forsake one’s childlike innocence?” “Now, what does innocence have to do with creativity?” “Both of these things fall under the category of being things for children.” “So, creativity is only for children?” “I suppose so.” “Now you, a college student who has just recently surpassed 18 years of age, have no creativity?” “We have established that, yes.” “Let me ask you this then. Have you heard of Facebook?” “I have, yes.” “Do you know of its creator, Mark Zuckerberg, and of how he was only just a college student when developing the website?” “I have heard of him.” “He became a multi-millionaire when he was only just two years older than you are now. How did he get there? He was smart and came up with a creative idea.” “You are making a fair point. Go on.”
“What else seems baffling to you about the concept of creativity?” The figure asked. “I understand Mark Zuckerberg and his creative idea, but as one ages do they not become more forgetful of creativity due to responsibilities with adulthood?” “My dear student, have you just forgotten what I had just told you? Being creative is not exclusive to a specific age range, but is used by those of all ages. Creativity is a trait you learn as a child, yes, but as you grow older it is still inside of you to use as a form of self-expression. Do you agree that you have never stopped expressing yourself?” “I do agree with you on that.” “As you mentioned earlier, you are writing a paper on playing soccer, so, therefore, you know how to play?” “That is true, yes. Ever since I was a little child,” I told her. “Playing a sport is a form of self-expression. It shows others your interests in life.” The figure had left me speechless after this. How could I have been so blind to the truth about creativity. One never loses it, but it aids them in life by showing them how to have fun and create successful business, in Mark Zuckerberg’s case at least. “You have convinced me, Creativity. Thank you.” The figure smiled at me and said, “Great. Now let us get started on this essay, shall we?” I smiled, turned around, and we began typing.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hey Nikki! Really interesting essay! I love your use of the terms “youth” and “growing age” to describe two periods of your life. It sounds as if you are seventy now! I like that you placed the usual loss of creativity in a person’s life at about sixteen years of age, I think there must be a good reason for that. Maybe sixteen is about the age that we start wondering if what we create is good enough to share, or even if our ideas are good enough to create. I think that as children we assume that everything we create is good. Then when we “forsake our childlike innocence” we start to doubt the value of our creations. So when we make something as adults we often only care what other people will think of it, not about the joy it can brings to us, and I think, to God. I’ve always loved the idea that when we create, we are imitating God. I think that God must feel the same way when we create things, as a father does when he sees his son taking after him. After all, that is exactly what is happening! And just like a father loves every scribble his child makes for him, God loves everything that we make. Of course then you have to show your creation to your often tactful but necessarily critical aunt/uncle who may not feel the same way about your doodle. Great post Nikki, this one really made me think!

    ReplyDelete

City Lights(1931) ( GB Favor)

Before viewing City Lights, I considered myself a huge fan of film, despite the film being my first silent film. I have now realized that t...